Estate Planning, Trusts and Probate
Sutin, Thayer & Browne's estate planning, trust and probate practice involves all aspects of tax, estate and gift planning, trust and estate administration and related litigation. Our estate and tax planning work frequently involves development of sophisticated strategies to preserve and transfer family wealth and businesses. Probate and estate litigation arises from disputes among the beneficiaries of a deceased's estate. Relatives and friends who are the executors or beneficiaries of the estate might contest a will or trust if there is a disagreement about asset distribution. Our attorneys help people in need of strong, supportive legal guidance with probate and estate litigation and administration.
- We routinely prepare estate planning wills and trusts at all levels for individuals and families.
- We currently administer a $30 million estate that includes disputed interests in closely held businesses, preserving the value of the estate and its businesses for the heirs. The matter involves addressing third-party creditor claims in other states, negotiating compromises with the IRS regarding the income tax treatment of several million dollars’ worth of dividends and loans, and maintaining compliance with regulatory agencies in two states.
- We represent large estates and personal representatives in will contests including claims of undue influence and lack of capacity.
- We successfully represented personal representatives in cases involving claims of breach of fiduciary duty and removal.
- We represent heirs and devisees in will contest cases.
- We assist clients in contested conservatorship and guardianship cases.