Barbara G. Stephenson
Your use of this website and any communications with Sutin, Thayer & Browne law firm through this website do not constitute or create an attorney-client relationship with Sutin, Thayer & Browne. You do not have an attorney-client relationship with Sutin, Thayer & Browne and cannot expect Sutin, Thayer & Browne to take any action on your behalf unless and until you and Sutin, Thayer & Browne make an explicit agreement setting forth the scope of representation, the fee arrangement and other relevant matters. Any information you send to Sutin, Thayer & Browne law firm through this website is non-confidential and non-privileged. Do not send or include any information in your email that you consider to be confidential or privileged.
- Phone: (505) 883-3459
- Fax: (505) 855-9570
BARBARA G. STEPHENSON is a firm lawyer who focuses her practice in employment law. She brings more than 30 years’ experience in representing public and private employers throughout New Mexico. Much of her time is spent in preventive practice; Barbara has extensive experience in working to keep clients out of litigation through training, pre-termination counseling, developing strategies and action plans, and writing, revising, and reviewing employer policies and employee handbooks. She also performs workplace investigations into allegations of harassment and discrimination and regularly updates her clients in recent case law and regulatory developments as they pertain to employers.
Barbara represents clients before the New Mexico Human Rights Bureau, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and the New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions.
- New Mexico, 1979
- U.S. District Court District of New Mexico, 1980
- U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit, 1981
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1985
- U.S. Court of Appeals District of Columbia Circuit, 1985
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1988
- University of New Mexico Law School, 1979, J.D., Editor, Natural Resources Journal 1978-1979
- University of New Mexico, 1974, B.A., Sociology
Publications & Speeches
- "Political Discussions in the Workplace"
- "Current Developments in Workplace Privacy"
- "Avoiding Gun Violence in the Workplace"
- "Anti-Harrassment Training Remains a Defensive Tool for Employers"
- "Fate of Unpaid Sick Leave for Workers on Federal Contracts Uncertain"
- Employment and Labor Law in New Mexico, Lorman Business Center, Inc., 1998 – 2014
- New Mexico Employment Law Seminars, National Business Institute and Professional Development Institute, Inc. 1995-1996, 2000, 2003-2019
- Basic Wage and Hour Law in New Mexico, National Business Institute, 1996 – 2019
- Employee Handbooks in New Mexico, National Business Institute, 1999
- Martindale-Hubbell Rating: AV Preeminent
- The Best Lawyers in America, Labor and Employment Law since 2001
- Chambers USA since 2002
- Southwest Super Lawyers®, Labor and Employment Law since 2007
- Best of the Bar, Employment Law 2011
- Editor, Natural Resources Journal 1978 - 1979
Professional & Community Involvement
- American Bar Association, Member
- New Mexico Bar Association, Member
- Animal Humane Association of New Mexico, Past Member, Board of Directors
- Futures for Children, Sponsor
- Second Judicial District Court, Bernalillo County, Arbitrator
- Equal Access to Justice Campaign, Past Co-Chair
- Preventative employment law counseling to nonprofit entities