Benjamin E. Thomas
Your use of this website and any communications with Sutin, Thayer & Browne law firm through this website do not constitute or create an attorney-client relationship with Sutin, Thayer & Browne. You do not have an attorney-client relationship with Sutin, Thayer & Browne and cannot expect Sutin, Thayer & Browne to take any action on your behalf unless and until you and Sutin, Thayer & Browne make an explicit agreement setting forth the scope of representation, the fee arrangement and other relevant matters. Any information you send to Sutin, Thayer & Browne law firm through this website is non-confidential and non-privileged. Do not send or include any information in your email that you consider to be confidential or privileged.
BENJAMIN E. THOMAS is the President and CEO of Sutin, Thayer & Browne, one of New Mexico's leading law firms. Ben practices in Albuquerque and Santa Fe, primarily in commercial litigation, employment law, creditor rights and civil rights litigation, representing businesses and individuals in a broad range of litigation and disputes.
In his employment practice, Ben advises businesses with respect to employment relations and represents companies before the Human Rights Commission, the EEOC and in employment discrimination, sexual harassment and civil rights lawsuits. Ben presents anti-harassment and anti-discrimination training seminars for employers and prepares policies and employment contracts for businesses.
Ben represents financial institutions and other creditors in foreclosure actions, loan workouts and bankruptcy. With a particular emphasis in commercial loans, Ben assists clients through the entire process of loan default to recover collateral through foreclosure, as well as the Chapter 11 bankruptcy process.
For several years, Ben was the legal instructor for a prominent banking school, educating bankers on the basics of banking and foreclosure law. He also teaches seminars to lawyers and creditors on the entire foreclosure process. Ben has specific experience in guiding banks through the purchase of other financial institutions and transfer of loans.
Ben represents businesses in dram-shop-related personal injury litigation and routinely assists companies in a wide range of lawsuits and business disputes.
- New Mexico, 2003
- United States District Court for the District of New Mexico, 2004
- Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals, 2006
- United States Supreme Court, 2007
- Boston University, 2003, J.D.
- Vanderbilt University, 1999, B.A.
- Boston University, 2004, M.A., International Relations
Publications & Speeches
“Employment Law, Including FMLA, and How it Relates to COVID,” March 24, 2021. Independent Community Bankers Association of New Mexico Virtual Conference.
"Preparing to Re-Open in a Pandemic: When and How to Bring Back Employees," May 19, 2020. Independent Community Bankers Association of New Mexico Virtual Conference. With Liliana Benitez De Luna, Sutin, Thayer & Browne.
“Employment Law and Legal Ethics Regarding New Mexico Cannabis Law,” November 13, 2019, State Bar Center, Albuquerque, NM. Sponsored by the Cannabis Law Section of the New Mexico State Bar. With Tina Gooch, Sutin, Thayer & Browne, and Steven Jones, Carrillo Law Firm, co-panelists.
Presents anti-harassment and anti-discrimination training seminars for employers and prepares policies and employment contracts for businesses.
- Presents banking and finance law courses for professionals in the banking and finance industry sector.
- Top Legal CEO, Albuquerque Journal, 2019
- Martindale-Hubbell Rating: AV Preeminent
- Chambers USA, Litigation: General Commercial
- Best Lawyers in America, Banking & Finance
- Benchmark Litigation, Litigation Star, Bankruptcy, General Commercial Litigation, Employment, Real Estate
- Southwest Super Lawyers, Employment & Labor, General Litigation
Professional & Community Involvement
- Parker Center for Family Business, Board Member, 2021
- National Dance Institute (NDI), Corporate Council, 2020-present
- Albuquerque Business First Leadership Trust, Founding Member, 2019-present
- Jewish Community Center of Greater Albuquerque, Board Member
- The Storehouse, Board Member, 2007-2020
- Leadership New Mexico, 2018
- Legal Instructor, Western States School of Banking, 2014-2018
- Leadership Albuquerque, 2008
- Boston University International Law Journal
- Albuquerque Bar Association