Derek V. Larson
Your use of this website and any communications with Sutin, Thayer & Browne law firm through this website do not constitute or create an attorney-client relationship with Sutin, Thayer & Browne. You do not have an attorney-client relationship with Sutin, Thayer & Browne and cannot expect Sutin, Thayer & Browne to take any action on your behalf unless and until you and Sutin, Thayer & Browne make an explicit agreement setting forth the scope of representation, the fee arrangement and other relevant matters. Any information you send to Sutin, Thayer & Browne law firm through this website is non-confidential and non-privileged. Do not send or include any information in your email that you consider to be confidential or privileged.
DEREK V. LARSON is one of New Mexico's few oil and gas law specialists, certified by the NM Board of Legal Specialization. He also practices in complex commercial litigation.
Mr. Larson has represented royalty owners and individuals in class action litigation, and he represented the States of New Mexico and Wyoming as a special assistant attorney general with regard to underpaid severance taxes and royalties due on oil and gas production. He also represents producers in oil and gas matters as well as other entities and individuals in a broad range of business matters.
Before beginning his legal career, Mr. Larson was an auditor in Arthur Andersen & Co.'s litigation support division. He is also a fixed- and rotor-wing pilot and experimental aircraft builder, breeds Doberman Pinschers, and served on the City of Albuquerque's Airport Advisory Board from 2006, and as its Chairman from 2009, through 2011. Before joining the firm, Mr. Larson was a shareholder at the law firm of Eaves, Bardacke, Baugh, Kierst & Larson.
- Edwin Smith, LLC v. Clark, 2011-NMCA-003, 149 N.M. 249, 247 P.3d 1134, cert. granted (Dec 20, 2010).
- Ideal v. Burlington, 2010-NMSC-022, ¶ 19, 148 N.M. 228, 233 P.3d 362.
- Davis v. Devon, Ideal v. BP Am. Prod. Co.; Smith Family, LLC v. ConocoPhillips., 2009-NMSC-048, 145 N.M. 157, 218 P.2d 75.
- Chevron U.S.A., Inc. v. State of New Mexico ex rel. Dept. of Taxation and Revenue, 2006 NMCA 50.
- EOG Resources, Inc. v. The State of Wyoming, 2003 WY 34; 64 P.3d 757; 2003 Wyo. LEXIS 42.
- Bank of Santa Fe v. Marcy Plaza Assocs., 131 N.M. 537, 2002 NMCA 14, 40 P.3d 442, (N.M. App. 2001).
- New Mexico, 1997
- Texas, 1994
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit, 1997
- U.S. District Court, District of New Mexico, 1997
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas, 1996
- South Texas College of Law, 1993, J.D.
- Stephen F. Austin State University, 1988, B.B.A.
Publications & Speeches
- "2015 Survey on Oil & Gas," New Mexico; Texas A & M University Law Review, Vol. 2 Special.
- "2014 Survey on Oil & Gas," New Mexico; Texas A & M University Law Review, Vol. 1 Special.
- "2013 Survey on Oil & Gas," New Mexico; Texas Wesleyan Law Review, Vol. 19, No. 2, Spring 2013.
- "2012 Survey on Oil & Gas," New Mexico; Texas Wesleyan Law Review, Vol. 18, Spring 2012.
- "Evolution of the Marketable Condition Rule in New Mexico," Speaker, Texas Wesleyan University Energy Law Symposium, Fort Worth, Texas, Spring 2012.
- "International Airliner Manufacturing, The Airbus Industry Subsidy Controversy," American Bar Association, Air and Space Lawyer, Vol. 8, No. 2, Fall 1993.
- Business Editor, Currents International Trade Law Journal, 1992-1993.
- Certified by the New Mexico Board of Legal Specialization as a Specialist in Oil and Gas Law
- Martindale-Hubbell Rating: AV Preeminent
Professional & Community Involvement
- City of Albuquerque, Airport Advisory Board
- Cavalcade of Wings, Board of Directors
- American Bar Association
- Albuquerque Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- Lawyer-Pilots Bar Association
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation
- Currents, International Trade Law Journal, Business Editor, 1992-1993