Katharine C. Downey
Your use of this website and any communications with Sutin, Thayer & Browne law firm through this website do not constitute or create an attorney-client relationship with Sutin, Thayer & Browne. You do not have an attorney-client relationship with Sutin, Thayer & Browne and cannot expect Sutin, Thayer & Browne to take any action on your behalf unless and until you and Sutin, Thayer & Browne make an explicit agreement setting forth the scope of representation, the fee arrangement and other relevant matters. Any information you send to Sutin, Thayer & Browne law firm through this website is non-confidential and non-privileged. Do not send or include any information in your email that you consider to be confidential or privileged.
KATHARINE C. DOWNEY is a member of the firm’s litigation group. Ms. Downey practices primarily in the areas of bankruptcy, commercial litigation, creditor rights, employment law, education law and insurance defense. She has assisted clients in commercial foreclosure matters, has represented financial institutions in lender liability defense cases, and has protected creditors’ rights in and out of bankruptcy. Before joining the firm, she managed a job and housing program at a local non-profit. She has presented seminars on the topic of the Affordable Care Act and the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act. She is a member of the American Bar Association as well as the New Mexico State Bar’s Bankruptcy Law Section and Young Lawyers Division and serves as the treasurer of the board of the Albuquerque Bar Association. Ms. Downey earned her B.A., summa cum laude, from the University of New Mexico and her J.D. from the University of Colorado School of Law.
- New Mexico, 2013
- Navajo Nation, 2013
- Pueblo of Laguna, 2014
- Pueblo of Jemez, 2014
- United States District Court for the District of New Mexico, 2013
- University of Colorado School of Law, 2013, J.D.
- University of New Mexico, 2007, B.A.
Publications & Speeches
- "Fair Debt Collection Practices Act" and "Filing the Lawsuit - Developing Definitive Strategies," presented at “Collection Law from Start to Finish," National Business Institutes seminar, Albuquerque, New Mexico, December 13, 2016
- "The What, Where and Why of Health Care Reform," presented at "Navigating the ACA for Employers" seminar, Sterling Educational Services, Inc., Albuquerque, New Mexico, March 26, 2015
- "Ethical Considerations for Employers and Attorneys," presented at "Navigating the ACA for Employers" seminar, Sterling Educational Services, Inc., Albuquerque, New Mexico, March 26, 2015
- Martindale-Hubbell rating: AV Preeminent
- Super Lawyers Rising Stars
Professional & Community Involvement
- Albuquerque Bar Association, Treasurer, Board of Directors
- Albuquerque Bar Association, Treasurer
- Chair of the Oral Arguments in the School Program for the
Albuquerque Bar Association, 2015-present
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- New Mexico State Bar Bankruptcy Law Section, Young Lawyers Division Liaison, 2015
- New Mexico State Bar Young Lawyers Division
- American Bar Association
- Has assisted clients in commercial foreclosure matters.
- Has represented financial institutions in lender liability defense cases.
- Has protected creditors’ rights in and out of bankruptcy.
- Has successfully argued before the Navajo Nation Supreme Court.