Robert J. Johnston
Your use of this website and any communications with Sutin, Thayer & Browne law firm through this website do not constitute or create an attorney-client relationship with Sutin, Thayer & Browne. You do not have an attorney-client relationship with Sutin, Thayer & Browne and cannot expect Sutin, Thayer & Browne to take any action on your behalf unless and until you and Sutin, Thayer & Browne make an explicit agreement setting forth the scope of representation, the fee arrangement and other relevant matters. Any information you send to Sutin, Thayer & Browne law firm through this website is non-confidential and non-privileged. Do not send or include any information in your email that you consider to be confidential or privileged.
ROBERT J. JOHNSTON belongs to the firm’s commercial group. He practices primarily in business and corporate law, state and local taxation, and public finance. Robert has represented businesses before the New Mexico Administrative Hearings Office in tax protest proceedings, and he has successfully defended companies in litigated matters ranging in subject matter from land-use disputes to oil-field injury and wrongful death.
During law school, Robert represented individuals in tax and employment matters as a student lawyer in the UNM Business and Tax Clinic. Robert also served as a representative on the UNM Student Bar Association, as a Lieutenant Governor for the American Bar Association’s Law Student Division, and as a volunteer with the UNM Mexican American Law Student Association, earning the Outstanding Volunteer Award in 2016.
While a student at Eastern New Mexico University, Robert served as a representative of the student body on the university’s Student Senate, Student Fees Committee, and as the student liaison to the faculty’s governing body, the Faculty Senate. As a freshman, Robert founded the university’s first Gay-Straight Alliance and served as a member of several service-oriented university organizations throughout his time as an undergraduate.
Outside of his professional endeavors, Robert is an avid photographer and enjoys spending time with his wife and their three dogs.
- New Mexico, 2016
- Arizona, 2017
- United States District Court for the District of New Mexico, 2016
- University of New Mexico Law School, 2016, J.D., Law
- Eastern New Mexico University, 2013, B.S., Political Science, History, magna cum laude
- Dean's Award for Significant Contribution to the Law School Community, University of New Mexico School of Law, May 2016
- University of New Mexico School of Law Merit Award Scholarship
- University of New Mexico School of Law Dean’s List
- Phi Kappa Phi National Academic Honor Society
- Eastern New Mexico University Dean’s List
- Eastern New Mexico University Class of 2013 Outstanding Student in Political Science
- Chicago-Kent College of Law Pre-Law Undergraduate Scholar, 2012
Professional & Community Involvement
- Young Professionals of Albuquerque
- New Mexico Hispanic Bar Association
- New Mexico State Bar Young Lawyers Division - Law Student Mentorship Program
- American Bar Association
- New Mexico Medical Review Commission, Lawyer Panelist
- Represented an association of commercial land owners in a land use dispute regarding restrictive covenants as applied to a purchaser’s proposed use of commercial property.
- Represented various businesses in a variety of employment disputes, including allegations of retaliatory discharge, invasion of privacy, and wage theft.
- Second-chaired the defense of an oil-field owner/operator in a wrongful death jury trial in which the plaintiffs sought $120 million in compensatory damages, in addition to punitive damages. Obtained a defense verdict based on proximate causation.
- Represented various businesses in a variety of contract disputes regarding construction of large housing developments.
- Represented a national mortgage lender in dispute in which a borrower alleged wrongful foreclosure, wrongful death, and intentional infliction of emotional distress.
- Represented a federally recognized Indian tribe in defense of an allegation of wrongful death based on statutory and common law dram-shop liability.