Stefan R. Chacón
Your use of this website and any communications with Sutin, Thayer & Browne law firm through this website do not constitute or create an attorney-client relationship with Sutin, Thayer & Browne. You do not have an attorney-client relationship with Sutin, Thayer & Browne and cannot expect Sutin, Thayer & Browne to take any action on your behalf unless and until you and Sutin, Thayer & Browne make an explicit agreement setting forth the scope of representation, the fee arrangement and other relevant matters. Any information you send to Sutin, Thayer & Browne law firm through this website is non-confidential and non-privileged. Do not send or include any information in your email that you consider to be confidential or privileged.
STEFAN R. CHACON is Counsel in the Albuquerque office. His practice involves Healthcare Fraud and Abuse, Qui-Tam Actions (FCA and FATA), Government Investigations, Commercial and other Civil Litigation, Healthcare Compliance, and Professional Licensure. Stefan represents a broad variety of clients in the healthcare and other industries.
Stefan is a native of Arroyo Hondo, New Mexico. After graduating from Taos High School, he earned his B.S. in Economics from the University of LaVerne, and his J.D. from The George Washington University. Before law school, Stefan served in the Peace Corps in Ecuador, where he worked in small business development and microfinance. While in law school, he earned a position on the Moot Court Board and the Mock Trial Board and served as president of the Hispanic Law Student Association. He also interned at the White House Council on Environmental Quality. After law school, Stefan clerked for the Honorable Richard C. Bosson of the New Mexico Supreme Court and practiced at two prominent New Mexico law firms before joining Sutin. He is admitted to practice law in California and New Mexico, and is fluent in Spanish.
- State Bar of New Mexico
- State Bar of California
- U.S. District Court, District of New Mexico
- 10th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals
- The George Washington University Law School, 2009, J.D.
- University of LaVerne, 2003, B.S. in Economics
- Super Lawyers: Southwest Rising Star 2018
- Chair, New Mexico State Bar Health Law Section 2018
Professional & Community Involvement
- Adjunct Professor (Healthcare Fraud and Abuse), University of New Mexico School of Law
- ABA Health Law Section (Litigation and Diversity Committees)
- New Mexico Health Law Section
- New Mexico Hispanic Bar Association
- Represented several healthcare facilities in complex Fraud Against Taxpayers Act litigation.
- Tried multimillion-dollar land dispute case.
- Represented multiple healthcare entities with state and federal government investigations, including investigations involving whistleblower complaints, and allegations of false claims.
- Represented a variety of different healthcare providers, from primary care physicians to nursing homes, in administrative proceedings before regulatory agencies.
- Represented numerous healthcare and other licensees in proceedings before licensing and disciplinary boards, including evidentiary hearings and trials.*
* Represent a number of healthcare clients throughout the state in general compliance, employment, and litigation matters.