Suzanne Wood Bruckner
Your use of this website and any communications with Sutin, Thayer & Browne law firm through this website do not constitute or create an attorney-client relationship with Sutin, Thayer & Browne. You do not have an attorney-client relationship with Sutin, Thayer & Browne and cannot expect Sutin, Thayer & Browne to take any action on your behalf unless and until you and Sutin, Thayer & Browne make an explicit agreement setting forth the scope of representation, the fee arrangement and other relevant matters. Any information you send to Sutin, Thayer & Browne law firm through this website is non-confidential and non-privileged. Do not send or include any information in your email that you consider to be confidential or privileged.
SUZANNE WOOD BRUCKNER is head of the firm's tax law division, a licensed New Mexico CPA, a firm shareholder and a member of the firm's board of directors.
Her practice concentrates on New Mexico tax law, including corporate income tax, sales and use (gross receipts) tax, property tax, and public finance. In her tax practice, she advises businesses with all aspects of New Mexico taxes, including tax planning, audit defense, administrative protests and litigation, refunds, tax credits and tax incentives. She consults on a variety of federal tax issues that affect business and government clients.
In her public finance practice, she advises about taxable and tax-exempt financings for public, private and government clients and contractors.
Her general business practice involves formation and governance matters and contract preparation and review.
Before joining the Sutin Firm, she worked as a certified public accountant for 10 years at KPMG LLP, an international accounting firm. She also served as a captain in the United States Army, serving in Korea, Germany and Desert Storm.
- New Mexico, 2005
- University of New Mexico Law School, 2005, J.D. magna cum laude
- University of New Mexico, 1994, M.B.A.
- St. Lawrence University, 1986, B.S. cum laude
Publications & Speeches
- "Financing - Understanding and Utilizing NM's Public Tax Options for Business & Projects," October 29, 2014, 19th Annual New Mexico Infrastructure Finance Conference, Pojoaque, New Mexico.
- "Gross Receipts Tax: Fundamentals and Strategies," August 13, 2014, National Business Institute, Inc., Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- "Updates, Changes and Issues in New Mexico Tax Law," 2012 New Mexico Tax Conference, December 7, 2012, New Mexico CPA Foundation Continuing Professional Education, Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- "Financial Statement Analysis: Understand and Interpret Financial Results for Better Management, Investment and Credit Decisions," December 2006 and 2007, Lorman Education Services, Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- "Federal Contractors and New Mexico Gross Receipts Tax," November 10, 2006, Sutin, Thayer & Browne, A Professional Corporation, Albuquerque, New Mexico,
- "The Pension Protection Act of 2006," Southern Pueblos Council Meeting, November 9, 2006.
- "The Pension Protection Act of 2006," Eight Northern Indian Pueblos Council Governors Meeting, September 12, 2006.
- "Accounting and Tax Issues for Businesses," September 14, 2001, Greater Albuquerque Chamber of Commerce, Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- "Economic Development Issues -- Past and Future," June 6 and 12, 2001, KPMG Professionals State Tax Update, Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- "Where is My Business Going: Tax and Accounting Issues for Structuring Your Business," February 22, 2001, Technology Ventures Corporation, Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- "Tax Fundamentals," January 15-16, 2001, KPMG, Los Angeles, California.
- "Technology Jobs Tax Credit," December 7, 2000, KPMG Professionals Seminar, Albuquerque, New Mexico.
- Best Lawyers in America: Albuquerque Lawyer of the Year 2018 - Tax Law
- New Mexico Women of Influence, Albuquerque Business First, 2018
- Martindale-Hubbell Rating: AV Preeminent
- Chambers, since 2016
- Best Lawyers in America since 2016
- Super Lawyers since 2014
- Order of the Coif
Professional & Community Involvement
- New Mexico Chief Hearing Officer Selection Committee, Chair
- New Mexico Tax Research Institute, Executive Committee and Board Member
- Association of Commerce and Industry, Member, Taxation Policy Committee, Former Chair
- New Mexico Society of Certified Public Accountants, Member
- UNM Anderson School of Management Foundation, Board Member, Secretary and Executive Committee Member
- American Bar Association
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- The Storehouse, New Mexico, Board Member
Ms Bruckner's representative clients include corporations, State agencies, tribes, universities and other business concerns with New Mexico operations. Among other matters:
- Represents clients in formal hearings before the Independant Hearing Office on various tax issues.
- Represents the New Mexico Finance Authority on various matters.
- Advises and represents clients on New Mexico tax issues specific to various industries including but not limited to healthcare, government contracting, oil and gas, and manufacturing, with tax planning and structuring, audit defense, administrative protests, refunds, tax credits and tax incentives.
- Works with clients to structure contractual arrangements in a tax-efficient manner, including advising hospitals, nursing homes, government contractors and other businesses.
- Advises companies with respect to New Mexico projects that use industrial revenue bonds to finance projects, including evaluating the availability of New Mexico gross receipts, compensating and property taxes exemptions and deductions, as well as New Mexico tax incentives, and assisting the companies with structuring the project in tax-efficient manner.
- Advises a State agency on issues with the State health insurance premium tax and surtax issues.
- Advises and assists with the State’s legislative process for progress in tax law, including legislation enacting a single sales factor for headquarter companies and to establish an independent administrative hearing office for tax disputes, resulting in the creation of a fairer appeals process for New Mexico taxpayers.
- Advises and assists with negotiating an estimated filing agreement for New Mexico gross receipts and compensation taxes with New Mexico Tax and Revenue Department.
- Advises clients regarding various tribal taxes including processing interest taxes..