Careers for Paralegals, Legal Assistants and Other Staff
If you are responding to an advertisement or are generally expressing interest in the firm, please send a letter of interest, including salary requirements, and a résumé by email to Kelly Brewer at:firstname.lastname@example.org
Human Resources Director
Sutin, Thayer & Browne, a large law firm with headquarters in Albuquerque, seeks a full-time human resources director to oversee personnel needs and administer employee benefits packages. Qualified applicants will have at least 10 years’ directly related experience, preferably in a law firm or other professional services organization. The firm offers a competitive salary and generous vacation/benefits package. Please submit application materials to Kelly Brewer at email@example.com. Confidentiality assured. No phone calls.
Purpose of Job: Supply the firm with efficient, cost-effective staffing for lawyer and non-lawyer personnel and administer benefit plans and packages for all employees.
Relationships: Report to CEO and designees.
- Compensation and benefits.
- Training and development.
- Human resources.
- Recruitment and hiring.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Recruit, interview and hire personnel as needed, including temps.
- Coordinate orientation for all new employees, including temps.
- Assist others in managing employee performance.
- Maintain confidential personnel and benefit files.
- Hear and resolve employee grievances; counsel employees and supervisors.
- Assist supervisors in disciplinary actions and terminations.
- Plan and execute ad hoc evaluations for non-lawyer.
- Propose and implement annual salary increases and bonuses for non-lawyer personnel.
- Maintain current job descriptions and requirements for non-lawyer personnel.
- Recommend and implement workload balancing for staff, especially secretarial.
- Conduct and analyze exit interviews.
- Administer background checks.
- Track records of the firm’s benefit plans, including medical, dental, vision, life, 401(k), flexible benefit plan, HRA administration, COBRA administration, profit-sharing and others as added/needed.
- Shop for, propose and help implement plans for personnel benefit plans.
- Maintain appropriate and user-friendly databases for all information pertaining to plans.
- Interact with brokers and vendors to establish meetings, reports, open enrollment sessions and planning.
- Help employees solve benefits issues.
- Respond to government and organizational surveys as needed.
- Facilitate policy development, assuring internal consistency and external compliance with government regulations and employment and wage and hour laws.
- Supply backup for support and records management departments.
- Provide human resources support and benefits support for all the firm’s needs.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Qualifications
- Minimum10 years in human resources management and benefits administration.
- College degree preferred, preferably in human resources administration.
- Experience supervising and managing a professional staff.
- Knowledge of federal and New Mexico employment regulations
- Knowledge of compensation, classification and wage structures.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational and training skills.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Good judgment and common sense.
- Experience in Word, Excel and other applicable computer programs.
- Ability to effectively communicate with people in potentially stressful situations.
- Ability to consistently meet daily, weekly, monthly and annual deadlines.
- Knowledge of Firm policies/procedures and benefit plans, or ability and willingness to learn.
- Knowledge and support of diversity efforts.
- Understanding of human nature and group dynamics will come in handy, as will a sense of humor.
We will remove this posting when we fill the position.