Real Estate Law
Sutin, Thayer & Browne real estate lawyers represent local, regional and national clients in broad range of real estate matters. These matters include structuring, negotiating, and implementing a wide range of development, construction, sales, purchases, leasing, borrowing and joint venture transactions on behalf of developers, contractors, owners, lessees, institutional lenders and private capital sources, including REITs and government funds. We also handle real estate litigation.
We counsel design professionals, contractors, material suppliers and owners on a wide range of development and construction issues, including design professional liability, construction contract claims, general liability issues and bonding requirements. Our lawyers provide advice throughout the construction process—from the preparation of bid documents to the negotiation and drafting of design, construction and professional service contracts, to response planning for project delays and change orders, to dispute resolution and, if necessary, litigation involving breach of contract, architect malpractice, construction defect claims, mechanics' and materialmen's liens and related matters.
- We represent the State of New Mexico Office of Military Base Planning in the acquisition of land near Cannon Air Force Base for donation to the Air Force.
- We represented the City of Lordsburg, New Mexico, in the negotiation of site-built solar power generating facilities and subsequent power purchase.
- We represented the New Mexico Spaceport Authority in the development and construction of the world’s first purpose-built commercial spaceport. Our work included assessment of programming and related studies, negotiation and preparation of the architect’s contract, the development agreement and lease agreement, and negotiation of agreements with local utilities.
- We represented a Florida-based beverage distributor in negotiating consultant agreements for the services of engineers, architects, appraisers, surveyors and environmental contractors in regard to commercial warehouse space in Albuquerque and Bernalillo County, and worked closely with contractors to secure land-use changes necessary to development of the client’s property.
- We represented a food distributor in vacating private drainage easements, a beverage distributor in vacating public access easements and obtaining zoning variances, a retailer in securing a conditional zoning use, a waste company in buying public land, and a waste company in seeking a special-use permit.
- We represented numerous public and private developers in sales and purchases of vacant land and finished lots and preparation of development and construction agreements.
- We represented a telecommunications company in various land use and FCC licensing matters.
- We represented multiple clients in the purchase of developed and undeveloped real estate, including the negotiation of federal permits, easements and lease rights.
Lawyers in this Area
Andrew J. Baranowski
Anne P. Browne
Jesse D. Hale
Wade L. Jackson
Charles J. Piechota
Jay D. Rosenblum
Frank C. Salazar
Justin R. Sawyer
Andrew J. Simons
Benjamin E. Thomas