The lawyers in Sutin, Thayer & Browne’s appellate practice undertake a variety of appeals in a wide range of civil matters, including in commercial litigation. The firm has represented plaintiffs and defendants before the New Mexico Supreme Court, New Mexico Court of Appeals, the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and the United States Supreme Court. Our appellate practice includes a former member of the New Mexico Supreme Court Appellate Rules Committee and board members of the Appellate Practice Section of the State Bar. Our appellate practice handles general tort appeals, all forms of commercial appeals, Indian gaming appeals and a variety of criminal appeals.
- We successfully represented an Indian casino consultant and management company from Las Vegas, Nevada, in a highly publicized appeal of a tribal gaming license revocation. Based on the successful appeal, the firm now represents the executive and consultant in a federal lawsuit against various tribal officials, including the pueblo’s governor, for tortious interference with contracts.
- We won a defense verdict on summary judgment for a national restaurant chain in defense of claims for over-service of alcohol to patron involved in fatal automobile accident, and represented the client in defense of the appeal before the New Mexico Court of Appeals.
- We successfully represented the owner of the second-largest landfill in New Mexico in a re-permitting proceeding in the New Mexico Environment Department.
- We represented UNM Hospital in a federal district court interpleader action in which the New Mexico Supreme Court accepted certification of two questions from the federal district court.
- We successfully represented UNM Hospital in an appeal to the New Mexico Supreme Court.
- We successfully defended Eastern New Mexico University before the New Mexico Supreme Court in a bid protest action filed by an electrical contractor in a public works project.
- We have acted as outside counsel to the Office of the State Engineer in appellate matters.
Stevan Douglas Looney
Deborah E. Mann
Lynn E. Mostoller
Frank C. Salazar
Mariposa Padilla Sivage
Benjamin E. Thomas
“They always call you back and keep you informed of the status of the engagement.”