Sutin, Thayer & Browne's tax lawyers offer extensive experience in a wide range of tax matters, including corporate and individual income taxes, sales and use taxes, property taxes, franchise taxes and specific excise taxes. We advise public and private entities with tax planning, audit defense, administrative protests and litigation, refunds, tax credits and incentives. We are actively involved in counseling clients on the intricacies of New Mexico's gross receipts, compensating and corporate income taxes, and oil, gas and mineral severance taxes. We provide federal, state and local tax problem-solving and planning expertise to in-state, out-of-state and multistate businesses as well as representation at audits, at administrative appeals and, if necessary, in litigation. We advise all types of business entities with regard to the state and federal tax impact of choice of entity and formation decisions, operational matters, tax-free mergers and exchanges, and reorganizations and dissolutions. Our lawyers have also drafted legislation and appear before legislative committees on state and local tax matters.
- We advise clients on New Mexico tax issues specific to the healthcare industry, representing for-profit and nonprofit healthcare clients with tax planning and structuring, audit defense, administrative protests, refunds, tax credits and incentives.
- We assist hospitals, nursing homes and other healthcare entities in restructuring contracts to be more gross receipts tax efficient.
- We advise companies with respect to New Mexico projects that use industrial revenue bonds to finance projects, including evaluating the availability of New Mexico gross receipts, compensating, and property taxes exemptions and deductions, as well as New Mexico tax incentives, and assisting the companies with structuring the project in tax-efficient manner.
- We have evaluated and advised with respect to the New Mexico tax impact of early terminations of projects.
- We represented a restaurant conglomerate in the tax deferred spin-off of one of its concept chains.
- We represented a tribal business in a New Mexico unemployment insurance tax audit, advised a tribal school and a tribal corporation about their qualified retirement plans, and represented an individual tribal member in a state audit concerning tribal and state jurisdiction over personal income tax.
Lawyers in this Area
Andrew J. Baranowski
Suzanne Wood Bruckner
Wade L. Jackson
Robert J. Johnston
Charles J. Piechota
Jay D. Rosenblum
Justin R. Sawyer
L. Curtis Vernon