State and Local Government
Our state and local government practice includes representing a variety of state agencies and local governments, as well as businesses and individuals working with such public entities. We represent public entities in all areas of governance, including board action, the Inspection of Public Records Act, the Open Meetings Act, the Procurement Code, public contracting and public employment. We have represented public entities in issuing industrial revenue bonds, forming special districts, and in establishing economic development programs under the Local Economic Development Act. We have assisted public clients in drafting legislation and local ordinances and resolutions.
Our experience representing governments also provides our lawyers the judgment and insight to represent businesses and individuals in working with such public entities. We have represented business and individuals in procurement matters, government contracting and public employment disputes. We have helped major developers navigate the complex systems for obtaining economic development incentives, including establishing projects under the Local Economic Development Act , obtaining industrial revenue bonds and forming special districts. We have also successfully lobbied for legislation to benefit our clients.
Our state and local government practice includes representing both public and private entities in various administrative law settings, including rule-makings, adjudicatory hearings and appeals before federal government agencies.
- We serve as outside counsel to several state agencies and as general counsel to a number of New Mexico municipalities.
- We worked with the New Mexico Economic Development Department to develop the standard process for local governments to use the Local Economic Development Act.
- We have represented state agencies in several large development projects entailing the preparation of a request for proposals seeking a development team to finance, develop and construct a large public works project; preparation of a personal services contract for an architectural consultant; preparation of a development agreement; negotiation of a lease with an anchor tenant and preparation of general terms and conditions for construction contracts; negotiating financing through a separate public issuer; and advice on bond and wage issues, the Subcontractor Fair Practices Act, the New Mexico Procurement Code, and the Public Works Act.
- We regularly represent state agencies in determining their obligations under the Inspection of Public Records Act, the Open Meetings Act, the Procurement Code and laws related to the use of public money.
- We have represented private clients in administrative appeals before various state regulatory boards.
- We represented a New Mexico municipality in an administrative hearing conducted by the State Engineer regarding appropriation of groundwater.
- We successfully defended a public school district in its administrative appeal before the United States Department of Health and Human Services, allowing the school to keep its Head Start program.
- We represent public employers in the defense of complaints of discrimination filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and New Mexico Human Rights Bureau.
- We represent public employers in defense of civil rights, whistleblower, discrimination and breach of contract lawsuits brought in state and federal courts.
- We represent public entities in defense of lawsuits alleging violation of state statutes and constitutional provisions in state and federal courts.
- We represented the New Mexico Taxation and Revenue Department as a Special Assistant to the Attorney General in two projects related to oil and natural gas valuation.
- We crafted legislation relating to the New Mexico Department of Transportation's operation of the Rail Runner.
- We represented the City of Farmington in the negotiation of a contract with a private buyer of effluent discharge.
Lawyers in this Area
Anne P. Browne
Eduardo A. Duffy
Robert G. Heyman
Wade L. Jackson
Jay D. Rosenblum
Frank C. Salazar
Mariposa Padilla Sivage