Deborah E. Mann
Your use of this website and any communications with Sutin, Thayer & Browne law firm through this website do not constitute or create an attorney-client relationship with Sutin, Thayer & Browne. You do not have an attorney-client relationship with Sutin, Thayer & Browne and cannot expect Sutin, Thayer & Browne to take any action on your behalf unless and until you and Sutin, Thayer & Browne make an explicit agreement setting forth the scope of representation, the fee arrangement and other relevant matters. Any information you send to Sutin, Thayer & Browne law firm through this website is non-confidential and non-privileged. Do not send or include any information in your email that you consider to be confidential or privileged.
DEBORAH E. MANN'S practice includes counseling clients on health law and institutional and professional malpractice. She is particularly knowledgeable regarding HIPAA compliance and other confidentiality issues. She represents hospitals and physician groups being investigated by the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, the Office of Civil Rights for alleged HIPAA violations and alleged discrimination. Deb prepares and reviews contracts, including employment contracts and independent provider agreements, for a variety of healthcare providers and provides advice on compliance with Stark and anti-kickback laws. She has assisted healthcare clients in defending fraud and false claims actions brought by the federal and state government, in evaluating Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement issues, and in making self-reports to, and negotiating settlements with, appropriate governmental entities. She advises hospitals on credentialing and peer review issues through both her litigation experience and regulatory work. Deb has represented hospitals, nursing homes, residential treatment centers, and individual providers including doctors, nurses, occupational therapists and dentists in personal injury and wrongful death cases.
Deb advises and assists clients with the state legislative process for progress in health law, including legislation governing medical malpractice cases. She drafts legislation, reviews and analyzes proposed bills, participates in stakeholder meetings, and testifies as an expert before legislative committees.
She was named the 2021 Lawyer of the Year in Health Care Law in Albuquerque by Best Lawyers in America. Deb was appointed by the New Mexico Supreme Court to the Ad Hoc Committee to Review the Operation of the New Mexico Medical Review Commission and the Medical Malpractice Act later that same year.
- New Mexico, 1995
- U.S. District Court of New Mexico, 1995
- 10th Circuit Court of Appeals, 1995
- University of New Mexico Law School, 1995, J.D. summa cum laude, class rank 1
- University of New Mexico, 1985, B.S. in Civil Engineering
Publications & Speeches
- Continuing Legal Education presentations on various topics
- Client training presentations on various topics
- Best Lawyers in America, Albuquerque Lawyer of the Year, Health Care Law, 2021
- Martindale-Hubbell rating: AV
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow, 2017-present
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow, 2016-present
- Best Lawyers in America, Health Care Law, 2021-present
- Best Lawyers in America, Medical Malpractice Defense, 2013-present
- Southwest Super Lawyers, Medical Malpractice Defense, 2013
- Law Review Staff – August 1993 – May 1994
- National Mock Trial Team – Spring 1994
- Environmental Law Moot Court Team – Spring 1993
- Order of the Coif
Professional & Community Involvement
- Ad Hoc Committee to Review the Operation of the New Mexico Medical Review Commission and the Medical Malpractice Act, Member by Appointment of the New Mexico Supreme Court, 2021
- American Bar Association, Health Law Section, Member
- American Bar Association, Substance Use Disorders and Mental Health Interest Group, Vice Chair, 2016-present
- American Health Lawyers Association, Member, 2016-present
- Albuquerque Bar Association, Member
- New Mexico Bar Association, Health Law Section, Member
- New Mexico Defense Lawyers, Member and Past Editorial Board Member and Co-Editor