Family-Owned and Small Business
Family businesses, especially, can present unique challenges involving relationship dynamics not found in other businesses. Our firm, known especially for excellent corporate legal services, assists and represents small businesses, family-owned concerns and closely held businesses. Effective shareholder and operating agreements, as well as estate and tax advice, help avoid and prevent issues in the first place. Our ability to manage all legal aspects for families and businesses under one roof provides wide-ranging, long-term protection. We assist in contractual and transactional matters, intellectual copyright and trademark protections, mergers and acquisitions, employment law related to employer rights and obligations, corporate structure and governance, expansion and development, buy-sell agreements, mediation and dispute arbitration, credit agreements, environment and permitting issues, life insurance planning, estate and tax planning, tax incentives, audit preparation, company valuation, and succession preparation.
- We represented a number of construction companies, restaurants and automobile dealerships in New Mexico.
- We represented a restaurant group in the tax deferred spin-off of one of its concept chains.
- We represented a manufacturer in the development of 409A compliant incentive compensation packages for its senior officers.
- We represented a solar energy startup in its private offering of securities to angel investors.
- We represented a green energy startup in the development and licensing of an efficient commercial battery invention.
- We represented a high-tech start-up in its acquisition by a publicly traded company.
- We serve as outside general counsel to a multibillion-dollar family-owned oil and gas producer.
- We administer a $30 million estate that includes disputed interests in closely held businesses, preserving the value of the estate and its businesses for the heirs. The matter involves addressing third-party creditor claims in other states, negotiating compromises with the IRS regarding the income tax treatment of several million dollars’ worth of dividends and loans, and maintaining compliance with regulatory agencies in two states.
Lawyers in this Sector
Suzanne Wood Bruckner
Eduardo A. Duffy
Tina Muscarella Gooch
Wade L. Jackson
Robert J. Johnston
Lynn E. Mostoller
Charles J. Piechota
Jay D. Rosenblum
Frank C. Salazar
Mariposa Padilla Sivage
Benjamin E. Thomas